Monday, 18 July 2011

Wonderful woolly world

So there's a story behind my latest crochet project:

Being new to the wonderful world of wool, I had no idea what I had stumbled upon when I picked up a few balls of Noro Iro at the charity shop.
When I saw it, I thought it looked gorgeous- loved the colour changes and could see from the label that, being wool and silk, it must be good quality.

Random

I wasn't sure how well it would crochet, or what I would do with it, so bought it home and had a play.
Hmmmmm.
Very nice, I thought.
I shall make myself a cowl or something.

Later on that evening I decided to do a bit of Googling to see what I could find out about this Noro stuff .. . and.... Bejaysus!...how much?...!...

I had paid the princely sum of 50p a skein and this Iro wool sells for over 10 quid a go!

Suffice to say, I was back to that shop the very next morning to buy up everything they had:

Random

And wow! It is lovely stuff. I've nabbed some more Iro, loads of Silk Garden and a couple of skeins of Kureyon too. (see, I'm an expert now).
I think the lady in the shop thought I was a bit mad, trying to cram a gazillion balls of yarn on the top of the buggy (cue wails of unhappy child underneath the woolly mountain) and attempting to steer it with one arm (the other trying to keep the gazillion balls of yarn from spilling all over the shop).

I have no idea what to do with all of this just yet, I'm sure the inspiration will come. I feel very grateful to the lady who donated this and will do her proud.

And so, to begin, a one skein cowl, made from the Noro Iro.

Chunky crochet shrug
Chunky crochet shrug

I just love these colours.
I have to admit, it took a fair few goes to get this right; too long, too dense, wrong stitch etc. I finally arrived at a dc-ch1-dc (US) solution, which I think works well.

Chunky crochet shrug

Chunky crochet shrug

Very seasonal, I know.
If the rain keeps coming, I shall wear this tomorrow.

Xx